I was asked by a student yesterday what things I consider when a motorcade will be part of a protection assignment. I emailed her my basic checklist and thought many of you may be interested in it as well.
I always start with this checklist and then customize as needed per the assignment:
Have We Done The Following:
1. Arranged / Informed (in EACH jurisdiction):
(a) Local police (state, county, city, etc.)?
(b) Local fire department?
2. Discussed motorcade with the event Points of Contact?
3. Selected route in partnership with local police and others?
4. Decided on which vehicles are to be used?
5. Assigned a vehicle supervisor?
6. Assigned security teams for lead principal and follow-up cars?
8. Arranged the number and place of vehicles in motorcade?
7. Briefed all drivers?
8. Made an advance / dry run of route?
9. Arranged for type(s) of escort?
10. Arranged for communication between Principal Car – Lead Car – Follow-up Car?
11. Briefed local police on type of escort and any use of sirens / colored lights?
That’s it for the basic checklist! I hope that helps you out a bit.
Until next time, stay safe!
Have a safe day!
Brian K. Allen, Director
International Security Training, LLC