I wanted to write today after learning about two security specialists who lost their jobs within the past month. The two individuals didn’t know each other and their incidents were totally unrelated.
What was interesting to me… was that the ‘reason’ they were fired was the same. They were both fired for “Unprofessional and aggressive behavior” stemming from discussions in the workplace relating to political and religious topics.
I’ve personally observed people go back and forth in heated debates concerning these topics. Know what? I’ve never seen anyone change their mind because they learned something new from a person they were arguing with.
So – being that my goal is to first, help all of you gain employment / new business and second, help all of you become more professional in the eyes of people you meet and work with… here are some ideas I have for you.
1. Remain calm whenever you’re faced with someone who disagrees with you.
2. Social media rants… don’t do it. Sure, post who you’re voting for, etc. but don’t get roped into a close minded debate.
3. Consider actually “participating” in your local political process by VOTING and STUDYING. You can do this without ever arguing with a co-worker, neighbor, relative or friend. Arguing and social media rants done with anger show immaturity.
4. Don’t study your religious text in open areas at work. This may incite incidents like the ones that got the two individuals fired… mentioned above.
5. Be quiet. Be polite. Don’t take offense. Just be cool, trained, and professional. Focus on earning money!
Everything above is just my opinion. I want the very best for all of my readers
Stay safe everyone!
Brian K. Allen, Director
International Security Training, LLC